Have You Got What it Takes to Join a Superyacht Crew?
Working in the yachting industry is exciting and rewarding with some great benefits. It’s not just a job though, it’s a 24/7 lifestyle choice. Get the latest yacht jobs and more about what it takes
Working in the yachting industry is an exciting and rewarding venture that can come with some great benefits. A yacht job is not just a job though, it’s a lifestyle choice, a 24/7 lifestyle choice at that, so it’s not for everyone.
Working on superyachts requires hard work and a specific skill set, but is a totally unique experience compared to working in any other industry. If you’ve got what it takes, you can look forward to having a long and successful career in this very unique industry.
The core skills you will need to work on superyachts are:
- to be a great team player
- to be a natural hard worker
- to be able to live communally and share a cabin with another crew member
- to get used to having little privacy or time on your own
- to be service-orientated
You may be pleased to hear you don’t necessarily need any previous experience to get your first yacht job, you can get a job as a Steward/ess, Deckhand or Cook with no previous yachting experience, and you will learn from your superiors on your first yacht job.
The kind of duties that you may be asked to perform are as follows: cabin preparation, wash-downs, line handling, cleaning, polishing, laundry, detailing interiors/exteriors, food service, drink service, painting, varnishing.
Those new to the yacht crew industry, with little or no previous experience, may have other skills that could help them get chosen by yacht owners and Captains, for example, experience as; an au pair, massage therapist, silver service, bartender, yoga teacher, beauty therapist or hairdresser. Or experience with diving, water sports, fishing, carpentry, mechanics, painting, first aid, in a hotel, on a cruise ship, or in restaurants.
If you think you’ve got what it takes then you might just be a perfect YPI Crew applicant, to register with our crew agency, just follow this link.
This week’s featured yacht jobs:
- Deckhand with security and army background required for a 60 m Med based yacht
- Large MY looking for kitesurf instructor for Med/Caribbean seasons. Start date ASAP
- Experienced temporary steward / stewardess required late June early July with Butler/Strong Silver Service CV
- Stewardess with prior SY experience required for a 53m SY. Lots of sea time and time at anchor