First Officer / First Mate Yacht Jobs
First Officer Job Description:
- The First Officer also known as Chief Officer or Chief Mate is the second in command and reports to the Captain.
- In charge of the deck crew : Second Officer, Third Officer, Bosun and Deckhands (depending on the size of the yacht)
- S/he or the Second Officer may be the designated security, safety and medical officer
- Responsible for overseeing deck operations and maintenance
- Deck budgeting/ inventory
- Supervision of all toys and tenders
- Setup of watch schedules and passage planning
First Officer Required Skills:
As a Captain to be, the Chief Officer needs to have
- Good navigational skills
- A charismatic and unflappable personality
- A”can-do” attitude”
- Excellent leadership, etiquette and communication skills
- Maintenance and engineering experience or understanding
- Good grasp of accounting and IT
- Good knowledge of all international maritime laws and regulations
If you have not yet registered with YPI Crew on our database, it is an easy and straightforward procedure. Simply upload your CV, certificates, references, and a medical certificate such as an ENG1 and you will automatically be considered for all First Mate jobs currently available.
Our administrator will review your CV and email you to acknowledge the application. Once you are registered, you can check in online through the website by clicking on ‘Log In’ and then ‘Check In’.
How much does a First Officer/First Mate on a yacht earn?
From the data, we see that fewer Chief Officers (43%) reported having a rotational position compared to Second Engineers (57%). However, they reportedly benefit more from rotation than Captains who are at 33%.