Yacht Captain Jobs
Yacht Captain’s Duties Include:
- Safe navigation and operation of the yacht
- Setting up budgets and budget management
- Hiring, leading, appraisal and dismissal of crew
- Overseeing the upkeep of the vessel
- Managing yacht refits and surveys
- Being an ambassador for the yacht, hosting and entertaining guests as required
Generally speaking, the smaller the yacht, the more hands-on the Captain must be. The larger the yacht, the more administrative duties the Captain will hold.
Yacht Captain’s Required Skills:
- Excellent navigational skills
- Charismatic and unflappable personality
- A “can-do” attitude
- Excellent leadership, etiquette and communication skills
- Maintenance and engineering experience or understanding
- Good grasp of accounting and IT
Find a Yacht Captain Job:
If you have not yet registered with YPI CREW on our database, it is an easy and straightforward procedure. Simply upload your CV, certificates, references, and a medical certificate such as an ENG1 and you will automatically be considered for all boat captain jobs currently available.
How much does a Captain on a yacht earn?
446 captains have contributed with their salaries and of those, 365 are working on motor yachts and 81 on sailing yachts. This corresponds almost exactly to the ratio of the global world fleet 83% of which are motor yachts and 17% sailing yachts.
Overall, less than 20% of all captains are on rotation with motor yacht captains benefiting to a higher degree. Likewise with salaries, as perhaps expected, large motor vessels generally pay higher wages than large sailing vessels.
Captains with permanent contracts on motor yachts between 81-100m command the highest salaries, an average of €18000 per month. At the lower end of the spectrum, captain salaries start around €5500 per month on both sailing and motor yachts less than 35m in length. In the 41-50m category, sailing yacht captains out-earn yacht captains in command of motor yachts, with an average monthly salary of €10000 for a charter sailing yacht captain, compared to just over €8000 for a motor yacht equivalent.